Monday 24 October 2011

Cocktail Hour

My good friend in Toronto has started a Cocktail Catering business and she gave me this recipe for a great cocktail for the season.

 It's the perfect drink for after work or for Sunday dinner. My friend served it with Thanksgiving dinner this year.

I decided to prepare it in one of my favorite tea mugs, which I picked up from Call the Kettle Black,  our neighbour on High Street.


Hot Apple-Ginger Toddy
makes one drink
a cup or so of apple cider
1 to 2 ounces of dark liquor (I used rum, but bourbon or calvadose would be good too)
a drizzle of honey or maple syrup
a squeeze of lemon
peeled fresh gingerroot, coarsely chopped (about a thumb sized amount)
mulling spices (cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, allspice, nutmeg - whatever you like I put some anise in mine)
Optional garnishes: cinnamon stick stirrer, lemon slice, apple slice, ginger slice
Add the ginger and mulling spices to the cider and simmer in a saucepan over medium-low heat for at least 5 minutes (or a full 15 or more if you want full flavor). Drizzle some honey or maple syrup into a mug and add the liquor, hot cider, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir.